National Safe Boating Week
May 18-24, 2019
We don’t want to scare you, but we care about you and know that your life depends on boating safety every time you leave the shore!
Truly, the best action you can take is having the right life jacket, and wearing it all the time. We know, you want to feel free, and life jackets aren’t “cool,” but they could save your life. Think of them as your boat’s seat belt. Would you go out for a spin in your car, and decide that the seat belt was too confining and uncool? We sure hope not! Maybe some of these life jacket facts from safeboatingcampaign.com can help convince you that life jackets are the coolest thing on the water!
Did you know that May 17th is National Wear Your Life Jacket to Work Day?
We also recommend that you take one of our FREE Boating Safety Classes.
•Find the latest safety regulations
•Request a vessel safety check
•Check your safety equipment
•File a float plan
•Find the nearest NOAA buoy
•Report a hazard
•Report suspicious activity
•Request emergency assistance
Looking at these statistics, from a 2017 Coast Guard report, you can see why we are concerned about your boating safety!
- 4,291 accidents that involved 658 deaths, 2,629 injuries and approximately $46 million dollars of damage to property as a result of recreational boating accidents.
- Where cause of death was known, 76% of fatal boating accident victims drowned.
- Of those drowning victims with reported life jacket usage, 84.5% were not wearing a life jacket.
- Where length was known, eight out of every ten boaters who drowned were using vessels less than 21 feet in length.
- Alcohol use is the leading known contributing factor in fatal boating accidents; where the primary cause was known, it was listed as the leading factor in 19% of deaths.
- Where instruction was known, 81% of deaths occurred on boats where the operator did not receive boating safety instruction. Only 14% percent of deaths occurred on vessels where the operator had received a nationally-approved boating safety education certificate.
We have a marina store that carries everything you need to be safe. Please contact us anytime if you have any questions or need help being safe on the water!